Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 20-22 Allens Cay, Bahamas

We made the quick trip over to Allen’s Cay on April 20th. This is among our favorite stops on our trip. There is the main anchorage and then a small cove with room for only one boat. Most people do not pull in there because it is only 4 feet on the charts. Fortunately, we had talked to a Morgan that was anchored there last year when we passed though. To our delight, the cove was empty and after a drive-through with a close eye on the depth sounder, we dropped the hook and claimed it for or own. I am with the supreme captain and therefore am the envy of everyone....

We spent two days in Allen’s Cay, exploring the islands, collecting a few conch specimens and visiting the famous iguanas who, as I have told you before, chase red-painted toes. A thrill which never ceased to entertain me.

Sunset in Allens Cay:






From the deck. Views to port, aft and starboard:



















Here, lizard, lizard, lizard....




















Dinghyng around...Ken with his face in the look bucket (a bucket with clear plastic in the bottom)







Hakuna Matata at anchor. Dinghying around the other side of the island to study the palm tree.














Sunrise at Allens Cay.












This afternoon, we bypassed Rose Island, outside of Nassau, and came into the anchorage in Nassau Harbour. We secured a good anchoring spot and have made initial contact with a stainless steel welder and a marina. We are hoping to repair the cracked stanchion on our stern pulpit whle we are here.

5 comments:

Candy said...

Woohoo - I beat Skip tonight :)

What a beautiful island = I must add this to my list..
Cool iguanas - good thing they only chase red toenails and don't eat them! That thing is bigger than your foot - pretty ballsy to be sticking it out there for them!!

Good luck with the repairs - hope it doesn't hurt the wallet too bad :(

Love ya - the Big Sista

Candy said...

PS I forgot to mention how amusing the photo of Ken with his head in the bucket was :) I was glad to see your note that it was a "special" bucket!

Skip said...

Tell the truth: #1. i 'let' Candy go first as i am a gentleman. #2. Ken is really throwing up in the bucket?Cause i dont believe your first lie!

Very pretty artwork. keep up the great work. miss you all.

xo pirate skip

Christy S said...

I am third and I like it!!! :)

Love the palm tree!

Dan and Sue said...

I agree with Skip - Ken is hurling. I've seen that pose before - no WAIT - I've BEEN that pose before.

ha ha ha ha

Love the pix,

Sue and Dan