Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April Staniel Cay

I am writing from an internet cafe in GeorgeTown, the southermost portion of the Exuma chain in the Bahamas. Skip has joined us for a few weeks as we plan travel through the ragged islands of the southernmost portion of the Bahamas, then passages to the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. We will pull into a marina there so we can receive our generator parts and effect a repair. He arrived with a smile and a new laptop for us...the not so tough hard drive on the Toughbook is dead.

We stopped the first week of April in Staniel Cay, site of the ThunderBall cave, as seen in the 007 movie, ThunderBall.








The entrance to the cave....swim under the ledge.























Very beautiful and we had the cave to ourselves. We also got our first opportunity to try out the underwater housing for the camera. It was most interesting to find a lionfish. These are a pacific creature and are considered a pest as they have no predators in the Caribbean.























The other thing to do in Staniel is check out the swimming pigs. As soon as they heard the dinghy engines, they came running down to the beach. It was a bit exciting when they tried to climb into the dinghy with me, but not being impressed with the carrots I brought, they soon returned to the beach. Fine. I'll bring bacon next time.



3 comments:

Dan and Sue said...

Oh my gosh - I have a pig club and they are going to go crazy over this picture. I will share with you how the pig club came to be when we see you. Glad to know that Skip is on board.

These are wonderful pix. We enjoy soooo much the stories and pictures.

You two are the greatest.

xoxox

Dan and Sue

Candy said...

Awesome - I love those little Staniel shacks - wonder how much they cost - I'm ready to move now!! Incredible underwater scenes - I can't wait to come get wet with you guys.

flgatorgoddess said...

Hmmmm brings new meaning to the saying "when pigs fly...." -- guess I'll need to revamp to say "when pigs swim :)"