Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 7-12 Key West, Florida

Pulling out of Bahia Honda on May 7th, we made the run to Key West. The winds were a brisk 3 knots and the seas steep at 1 foot. Iron jib did most of the work for us. Matt donned pirate gear for the trip.

We have had a great time here in Key West, enjoying the sights, sounds and local restaurants.














Street scenes in Key West. This guys would stand perfectly still and then shout unpolitically correct epithets at unsuspecting passerbys, just like R. Lee Ermey of Full Metal Jacket fame. He was a scream. There were a lot of clearly foreign people on the street. Full volume. "Welcome to America. Speak English!" He didn't win any prizes from them but the rest of us had a good laugh. I was afraid to tell him I was from Texas.











Sunset in Key West, at anchor off Fleming Key. The boat is S/V Worth W8N4.











Chickens (ground hawks) roam the streets of Key West. This was my first time to encounter an entire family.


Watching the performing artists at the sunset party at Mallory Square is one of my favorite things. Many of them are fixtures on the square and even though we have seen them before, they always entertain...the cat man, the escape artist and a variation of the tin man. However, I met one enterprising individual who hid around the corner of a walkway and would jump out, screaming "booga booga" at unsuspecting strollers. Hilarious.




































It is with mixed feelings that I tell you this is my last blog of the journey. I leave on Friday to go to my parents house, visit with them and finalize on-boarding (a job? gasp!)with Dell-Perot. As per my prior experience, they are still very good to me and I am excited to rejoin my colleagues. It looks like my first assignment may be Beverly Hills. Early June. As Craig says, just where a shopping-deprived woman needs to go. It is also exciting to contemplate the prospect of actually seeing the houses that Craig and I have been shopping on-line. People take pictures of the wierdest things, but I digress. It will be great to be close again to family and friends. We also have friends waiting for us in Kemah, so all in all, we are excited about the future.

The boys arrive on Wednesday May 19th to head across the Gulf of Mexico. Pray for good weather, contained oil and fair winds.

PS. Did I tell you that my baby sister got ENGAGED??? I love him. He took me to see The Cult when I was back in Texas. And then bought babes a beautiful sparkly! I would post a picture but you would be blinded and I can't be responsible for that. A wonderful catch on both sides!! Yoo-hoo!!

4 comments:

Skip said...

WORK the four letter word we all hate!

Dear Angela; after two years of Pirating and Pillaging on the high seas - simple work should be a breeze. (but the starting back is gonna suck. yes, you will feel pain with the stretching of these seldom used muscles.)

Congrats on the RING and all that girl crap.

You wrote about your 'last post' but surely you JEST? life goes on and the future surely holds more words and photos which you will POST. (any life without your posts in it is not worth living...)

We are all even interested to see and hear about your work. that must be fascinating too. even photos of shopping in Beverly Hills? Ahhhh the big mystery that is the future! *we want to see the 'new house' (imagine a house on land?) and all that it means...

miss you both. XO Pirate Skip

Anonymous said...

I concur with Skip that work is that four letter word we all hate! Congrats to Christy on her engagement and I heard about the bling! Save travels my brother across the gulf once again!

Love

the Kristie with a K :-)

Unknown said...

I know you guy's have had a great time, and I am proud of you, but it ain't over yet! It'll be like old times when I used to round the corner on friday evening at Highport and see that you guy's were on the boat. I knew it was going to be a great weekend. And we'll have more of them in Clear Lake Shores, not Kemah by the way. And this time we'll have a nice pool for the summer as well.
I can't wait. We are going to New Mexico for the holiday. We'll be at the boat the next weekend.
Rod & Linda
S/V It's Perfect

flgatorgoddess said...

Surely not the last post !!! Agree with Skip- I want to hear all about the "hills". Also think the blog material for the post cruising back into work mode may make for good book material :)

Glad your back safe and sound--and look foward to seeing you more!

and yes the bling is blinding-- Mr Chris did real real good!

See in the airports!
Hugs and Kisses-
karen