Friday, February 27, 2009

February 27: We Are Outta Here!!

After a tough month of radiation for the Captain, it is time to get this mission off the ground and for us to get underway. If anything, this episode has strengthened our resolve to go now. We can never say enough to express our gratitude for the support and prayers we have received from our family and friends. Craig is healthy, strong and 100% cured.

This week has been, and Jimmy Buffett says it best, a tumultuous uproar as we prepare to set sail for the Bahamas: provisioning, last minute "can't live withouts", engine/generator maintenance and preparation, turn the rental car in, got to the bank, etc. etc.
One "can't live without" splurge was new linen for our stateroom. That comforter was too heavy and scratchy, and girls, you know there was just too much blue going on in this boat for me. Now, I'll admit some degree of excitement that Key West has in addition to my K-Mart limitation in Marathon, a Sears. Woo-woo! I gave it a half-hearted attempt, but a girl has to draw a hard line prior to unemployment, so an Angela internet power search ensued, and voila!
A 100% cotton matelasse..in cayenne, no less. With matching shams. And a throw pillow. OK, and midnight blue sheets with a stupid high thread count. But no flowers or petite english ivy...I was pushing my luck with the shams.









I did hit K-Mart and Publix on a massive provisioning mission. Things can certainly be had down island, in many places very inexpensive, and part of the point of the trip is to enjoy new cultures, but the Bahamas are crazy expensive. We thought it a good idea to stock up to save money and until we get a feel for foreign markets. While I was doing this, the Captain got down and dirty in the engine room, changing oil, filters and other man stuff to prepare us for the journey.
For the first time, I was the woman you hate to be behind in the checkout line.
Fun with the Food-Saver. Vacuum sealed for freshness!
The Captain and the Admiral each do our part to ensure the health and well-being of the other.






Today we pulled our lines on board and headed out of Key West to head north before making the passage across to the Bahamas. It was a beautiful day but the 15knot winds were right on our nose, requiring use of the "iron jib" and many tacks to make progress north. We made it to our old favorite anchorage, Bahia Honda, to spend the night. We will proceed to Marathon tomorrow to visit with friends. Following that, we will continue north the Key Largo or thereabouts, looking for our weather window to cut across the gulf stream.
The Admiral

5 comments:

Christy S said...

Oooooooooo! Soooo wish I was going instead of making sure AT&T retains some intelligence within their walls! LOL! I have some mean deck hand skills. I haz skilz.
Hmmmm....just let me know where the rendevous point is, and I will be there!!!

Christy S said...

Hey....Kerry and I are watching Mama Mia - the sing along version!

Candy said...

Me, too! Me, too! (on the rendevous point) Glad to see you stocked up on the necessities of life...hairspray, toothpaste, pepto and huggies????
You are such a domestic goddess with the foodsaver :)
Love ya and wish you safe passage!

Angela said...

Blistering some chimp in the board room...making sure my man eats well. All in a day's work.
The Admiral

Skip said...

well i'll be damned. Craig shaved and you packed veggies. you won't starve and you will look great. could it be any better?

I need to catch up and hear all the plans. (just got in from Vegas work) I'll call.

-skip