Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How to recover on a boat.

Well recovery is going pretty well. Have good days and bad and still sore but getting around. Weather is great, sunny and in the 80s so it is not a bad place to be for recovery.
So what have we been doing?? Well last night right as I was brushing my teeth for bed and the water pump died.....yes, deep 6 and nothing was bringing it back to life. On a boat without the water pump working you have no water from the faucets. We would have to fix it for sure but not last night.
In the morning we came up with the plan for the fix. Since I cannot bend or get down on my knees and stomach right now Angela was going to have to be my hands. So I directed and she installed.
To the left, Angela crawls into the hole and pulls out the bad pump. To the right is the dead water pump.




Then it was to West Marine to buy the new pump and they even had it in stock! Score 1 for team Hakuna Matata today.

Angela with new pump installed on top of the accumulator tank and bolting it back in place.



Then it was onto the check and yes it worked! Score two for the day....we can now shower and brush teeth again!
The second project of the day was the new Bose System for the salon that came in. This is something that we have been wanting (I am still a AV nerd at heart) but decided it just was not worth the expense. Since we got delayed with my current problem we decided over Christmas that this would be the consolation prize. When I emailed my good friend Casey today he said, "wow guess you had to give your left nut for that one"! He was almost correct as it was not the left but the right!!

Pics of Angela checking out the new system......it sounds sweet!!
So that is our day of recovery today.......all in all a good one......got to go now and watch movies!
The Captain

Admiral's Note:
Many of my friend girls ask how I got so handy with wrenches and such. Here is what you do:
1. Buy a 50 year old house. Accelerated plan if it has been a rental property and/or only one bathroom at time of purchase.
2. Dont' have a boyfriend and have your daddy living 1500 miles away.
You will be amazed how quickly you too can develop home/boat repair skills...
A.

4 comments:

Candy said...

Excellent work, Admiral!
Hope that was the last luxury item for the boat - not many spare body parts remaining.... Glad to hear recovery is going well and anxious for good follow-up report -
Candy

Ol' Dave in Dallas said...

No sponge bath for Craig-no shower for Angela...coincidence? I think not!

Clearly the water pump failure/repair was pennance for Angela from the karma gods. Had she acquiesced to poor, ailing Craig's completely understandable desire for a full body sponge bath from a nurse this would never have happened.. Ok, yes, in a saucy nurse's outfit; is that asking soo much??
After all Angela, You ARE a nurse.

Ol' Dave in Dallas

Christy S said...

VERY impressive handy work!! You rock, big sis!

Also - I LOVE the generous use of technology and hope that it continues - narratives and photos - makes me feel like I'm there! ;)

Hugs!

Christy S said...

I think this one will be for Craig :) Is there any way to set up an RSS feed from the blog? Looked around some, but didn't see a link - wondered if it might be a setting that could be updated....

Glad that things are looking up and that the recovery has gone well!